Erlanger, Ky. (January 17, 2018) – In 2017, the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG) served 7.8 million passengers, its largest volume since 2010. This represents a 16 percent year-over-year increase (compared to North American average of 3 percent) and approximately 1.1 million new passengers compared to 2016.
For the second consecutive year, every airline partner experienced passenger growth, and carriers added 11 new flight options.
CVG grew local passenger volume by more than 21 percent in 2017, and in December set a new record in its 70-year history. This is the fifth consecutive year CVG has achieved year-over-year local passenger growth.
CVG also set a new record for cargo traffic in December. A total of 109,380 tons was handled representing a 34 percent increase over December 2016. For the first time in its history, CVG experienced annual cargo tonnage of more than 1 million tons (2 billion pounds) a 27 percent year-over-year increase; nearly four times the North American average of 7 percent.
CVG achieved its best ranking in the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) airfare report in 2017 making it the lowest fare airport in the region. Airfares at CVG declined for the fourth consecutive year, and passengers are paying on average $250 less per ticket.
“The growth we’re experiencing at CVG is because the community continues to embrace additional air-service options and lower fares,” said Candace McGraw, chief executive officer, CVG. “We’ve been successful in adding new air carriers and destinations for increased competition, as well as working with air cargo partners to establish and grow their operations, all of which grow the airport community and positively impact the local economy.”
“We’re in year two of our 5-year strategic plan, and already seeing record-breaking results,” said J. Michael Schlotman, CVG Board Chairman. “I congratulate the entire CVG team on the tremendous successes in 2017. Our mission statement says, ‘we want CVG to be the airport of choice to work for, fly from, and to do business with,’ and these results clearly indicate we are making great strides.”
Passenger & Cargo Metrics
- Served 7.8 million passengers in 2017
- Total enplanements increased 16%, more than five times the North American average
- Cargo grew 27% to a record 2 billion pounds
- Eighth largest cargo airport in North America and 34th in the world
Air Service Development
- Amazon announces the development of its global air cargo hub at CVG.
- American Airlines started operating mainline aircraft serving Dallas/Fort Worth.
- Allegiant launched new service to Providence/Boston, Raleigh/Durham, Los Angeles, New York City and Denver. Allegiant recently announced new service to Charleston and Sarasota, increasing their total destinations to 21.
- Delta expanded service to its most popular destinations from CVG. Celebrated 20th anniversary of direct service to Paris.
- Frontier launched new service to San Diego, New York City, Miami, Minneapolis/St. Paul, and will begin service to San Jose, Austin, San Antonio, Jacksonville and Raleigh/Durham this spring. Frontier now serves 20 markets from CVG.
- Southwest Airlines began serving CVG to Chicago and Baltimore/Washington. Southwest announced seasonal service to Phoenix to align with Cincinnati Reds spring training.
- United Airlines launched new daily nonstop service to San Francisco.
- WOW Air announced it will begin service to Iceland and Europe beginning May 2018.
- Largest origin airport on the Vacation Express network with five destinations.
CVG offers more nonstop destinations than any airport in the region, including direct international service to Paris, Iceland, Toronto, Cancun, Cozumel, Montego Bay, Grand Bahama Island and Punta Cana. CVGairport.com is your award-winning, travel-planning resource with flight status, security wait times, parking availability and weather.
CVG is a top 10 cargo airport in North America, and home to one of three global super-hubs for DHL and Amazon Air’s cargo hub. The airport is recognized globally as a leading U.S. airport by SkyTrax World Airport Awards. CVG is the only airport in the country to receive Safety Act Designation and Certification from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), giving the airport the highest level of protections under the Act.